Building the Traditional Owner-led bush products sector
- Kimberley Land Council
- Girringun Aboriginal Corporation
- Tropical Indigenous Ethnobotany Centre (TIEC)
- In-Group Investments
- James Cook University
- Australian Native Food and Botanicals
This project is led by an Indigenous Steering Committee with advice from industry and government. It will design a Strategic Sector Development and Research Priority Framework to guide the strategic growth of the Traditional Owner-led Bush Products sector in northern Australia. This framework will be developed from a review of relevant literature and the outcomes of a workshop with key Indigenous organisations to consider sector-wide opportunities, challenges, and priorities. It will include considerations of Indigenous IP and future protection of cultural knowledge in line with the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit Sharing.
The project is led by an Indigenous Steering Committee comprised of representatives from four Indigenous organisations from northern Australia, with support from the CSIRO/JCU research team and additional guidance from industry (ANFAB) and government.
Maclean, K., Woodward, E., Jarvis, D., Rowland, D., Rist, P., Turpin, G., Martin, P., Glover., R (2019). A strategic sector development and research priority framework for the Traditional Owner-led bush products sector in Northern Australia. CSIRO
- A Traditional Owner Network to guide the future growth of the TO-led Bush Products Sector
- A framework to provide the focus for ongoing investment in the Traditional Owner-led sector and create opportunities for the development of new enterprises and greater engagement with investors.
- Improved capabilities and wellbeing of the Northern Australian community through support for the development of Indigenous enterprises which provide opportunities for Indigenous employment throughout a wholly Indigenous owned supply chain.
- 5 per cent growth in the sector in the first year.