Evaluation of the potential to expand horticultural industries in Northern Australia
- The University of Queensland
- Horticulture Innovation Australia
- Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
- Northern Territory Department of Primary Industries and Resources (NTDPIR)
- Western Australian Department of Primary Industries and Rural Development (WADPIRD)
The objective of the research is to create a growth stimulus across horticultural industries in Northern Australia by matching new developments in the industry new international market opportunities.
This project evaluates three horticultural industries (lychee, avocado and mango) in Northern Australia and will assess what opportunities exist to expand into new high margin, targeted Asian markets by undertaking comprehensive market assessments across key countries and locations. The intent is to work within a cooperative framework with Northern Australia’s horticultural growers, researchers and peak industry bodies and provide key market information to inform and strategically support their future decision making, while ensuring growth in both volume and return.
The outputs of the study will also provide guidance on where to support strategic development actions within industry and to direct major investments for Horticultural Innovation in Northern Australia.
- Improved export performance in the medium and long term will lead to improved economic performance for regions across Northern Australia, with a greater share of national GDP contributed by Northern Australia.
- Lead exporting growers are expected to increase their R&D investment by 10 per cent to pursue new identified opportunities.
- 20 per cent of growers in the three nominated industries will either increase the proportion of their exports or will export for the first time.
- Increased returns on export volume with a shift to high value, high margin products and markets.
Market and field intelligence reports
- Japan market report - pdf 1.52 MB
- China market and field study report - pdf 1.67 MB
- China market and field study report Part 2 pdf 588 KB
- Singapore market field report - pdf 723 KB
- Hong Kong market field report - pdf 1.41 MB
- South Korea market field report - pdf 616 KB
- Upstream supply chain intelligence - pdf 426 KB