Growth of agricultural exports from FNQ through enhanced supply chains
- Advanced Cairns
- Cairns Airport Pty Ltd
- Far North Queensland Ports Corporation ( Ports North)
- Air Freight Handling Services Pty Ltd
- Qld Department of Agriculture and Fisheries ( DAF)
- James Cook University ( JCU)
- Far North Queensland Regional Organisation of Councils ( FNQROC)
Potential improvements and efficiencies in FNQ supply chains have not kept pace with recent substantial growth and diversification in the agriculture markets across the region (including fresh and value added), particularly bearing in mind the potential of the development of northern Australia. This has led to reduced realisation of economic opportunities in FNQ.
To facilitate growth of agricultural exports from FNQ, this project will identify gaps that exist in the current supply chain and examine opportunities for FNQ producers to enter new export markets.
The results of the project will inform planning for several catalytic projects in the region, including the Ports North master plan for the Cairns Marine Precinct, Cairns Airport aviation route development, FNQ Regional Organisation of Councils (FNQROC) roads and infrastructure planning, and a Regional Export Distribution Centre business case for Cairns
- A report which will provide evidence-based data and information for stakeholders to use when developing feasibility studies and business cases for infrastructure developments.
- The research will outline the current and future supply chain to provide an evidenced-based impetus to increase regional production and export through conductor and market identification.
- Through identification of wider market and export opportunities, the outcomes of this study are likely to increase regional production, offer more employment opportunities and contribute to a greater regional spend.