Northern Australia aquaculture industry situational analysis study
- James Cook University
- Blueshift Consulting
- Australian Barramundi Farmers Association
- Australian Prawn Farmers Association
- Indigenous Land and Sea Corporation
This project will identify key challenges and opportunities facing the northern Australian aquaculture sector and will explore potential solutions and/or identify the most strategic research projects for further investment.
This situational analysis study will examine current industry characteristics, including industry size, production, income, productivity measures and employment levels to understand capacity and scalability limitations. It will include, but not be limited to examining: infrastructure, biosecurity, animal health management, the investment landscape, policy, training and human capital gaps and the research or alternative solutions to address them.
A Northern Aquaculture Industry Vision 2028 will also be developed as part of this study. This vision and strategy will be developed in collaboration with indigenous and non-indigenous stakeholders including industry associations, Aquaculture farmers, researchers, government and non-government organisations via a series of focus group sessions.
- 11/11/2019 - Professor Dean Jerry, James Cook University. Presented at TropAg Conference 11 November 2019 - Preparing the way for growth in aquaculture in Northern Australian: industry priorities and vision 2028 pdf 1.16 MB
- Interim reports
- Cobcroft, J., Bell,R., Fitzgerald, J., Diedrich,A., Jerry, D. (2020). Stage 1 report: Northern Australia Aquaculture Industry Situational Analysis . James Cook University,Townsville, Qld.
- A report which defines the potential of the northern Australian aquaculture industry in accordance with the various strategic plans, combined with thorough stakeholder engagement and goal setting for the industry. This report will produce an articulate summation of research requirements and an action plan for the industry and the CRCNA to inform and guide future investment.